Director of Strategic Initiatives
Apply by June 12, 2023, at this link
Ideal Start Date: By August 1, 2023
Starting Salary: $90,000
Reporting to: Chief Operating Officer
# of Directs: 1-3
How to Apply
Applicants should apply at this link. This role is open and looking to be filled in July/August. The first round of applications will be reviewed on June 12, 2023, and additional applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the role is filled. Please ensure you are applying for the correct job when you fill out the form linked above.
The Pet Sustainability Coalition (PSC) seeks an impact-driven, action-oriented, and solutions-focused Director of Strategic Initiatives to further our industry leading efforts on sustainable packaging, sustainable ingredients, social responsibility, and climate action. This is a full time position that is a hybrid role based near our Boulder, CO headquarters. We operate in a fast-paced start-up environment and this position will play an integral role in delivering best-in-class sustainability expertise and deliverables to our members.
The ideal candidate will have been previously in a leadership role that allowed them to engage with and convene industry stakeholders to advance sustainability objectives. They have an established network in the sustainable business arena and a strong understanding of leading sustainable businesses, NGO’s, nonprofits, and collaborative organizations. The ideal candidate is a confident public speaker and will lead PSC’s pioneering efforts in a collaborative and inclusive fashion with a strong prioritization for impactful and scalable solutions. The candidate will need to be a team player, good with managing partnerships, and a self-starter who can work cross functionally in a startup environment.
The Director of Strategic Initiatives will work directly with both our internal and external partners supporting our overall strategy in the following key areas:
Program Vision, Development, and Management (60%)
- Provide strategic vision for PSC’s key strategic initiatives
- Educate the PSC team on trends across the industry and areas of focus
- Oversee the development and ongoing management of new and existing programs (Return-to-Retail, PSC Packaging Pledge, Four-Factor Framework for sustainable protein sourcing)
- Guide and direct strategic initiative task forces composed of PSC team members, board members, corporate members, and industry partners
Partner Management (15%)
- Oversee PSC’s key partnerships across each of our initiatives
- Represent PSC in larger cross-industry collaborative groups (US Plastics Pact, Better Chicken Project, etc)
People Management (15%)
- Lead, manage, and hold accountable a team of specialists focused on PSC’s initiatives
- Serve as hiring manager for future positions on the Strategic Initiatives team (target size: 3-4 directs by 2025)
Thought Leadership (10%)
- Represent PSC’s work within the industry (speaking at industry events related to our work)
- Serve as a conduit within the pet and sustainability industries to connect the dots on key initiatives
- Lead development and preparation for PSC’s monthly educational series of webinars and develop content ideas for other member education opportunities
Don’t meet every requirement? No problem. Studies show that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they do, so we encourage you to apply anyway.
- Master’s degree, or equivalent experience, in sustainability or environmental science
- 5+ years of corporate sustainability experience
- 3+ Years in sustainable program development and management
- 2+ years of people management experience
- Experience in a client-facing consulting role with C-suite and senior business professionals
- Experience building coalitions across sectors, industries, and sizes of organizations
- Collaborative group participation, management, or facilitation
- Public speaking
- Experience leading in at least one of the following areas: sustainable packaging, sustainable ingredients, corporate responsibility, or climate action.
PSC believes the diversity of skills, backgrounds, viewpoints, and experiences employees bring to their work will be a critical factor in our success. PSC is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. All applicants and employees are evaluated on the basis of personal skill and merit.
PSC does not discriminate on the basis of age, race/ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, condition of pregnancy, perceived pregnancy, breastfeeding status, medical conditions related to breastfeeding, marital status, disability, veteran status, and sexual orientation. This policy applies to all areas of employment including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfer, and participation in social and recreational programs.
- Relocation reimbursement to Denver Metro Area
- Unlimited PTO + ½ day summer Fridays
- 100% employer paid medical premiums + dental & vision options
- 401(k) with a 4% employer match
- 3-4 months of paid parental leave
- Annual wellness stipend + professional development stipend
- Pet-friendly office!
What We Do
PSC accelerates environmental and social sustainability in the pet industry through education, tools, project support, and collaboration. The organization works closely with companies ranging from brands, manufacturers, suppliers, and retailers. We help companies identify strategic impact opportunities that drive increased profitability. PSC’s awards and programs are highly rated across the industry and include sustainable packaging, sustainable ingredient sourcing, and diversity, equity, and inclusion.